← Science & nature Science & nature · Accessible English

Alexandra bridges

Several bridges in Alexandra, New Zealand

2 min
estimated reading
3
complete sections
6.06
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
284
Native text
2014 characters
Dictionary match
75%
Revision
1344684152 · 2026-03-21T23:27:35Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

The Alexandra Bridges refers to the old and new bridges that cross the Clutha River in Alexandra, New Zealand. The bridges are situated at the confluence of the Clutha River/Mata-au River and Manuherikia River.

Old Alexandra bridge

The old bridge opened on 1 June 1882. It used to connect Old Bridge Road (Bridge Hill side of the Clutha/Mata-au) and Rivers Street (Alexandra township side). It was built by Vincent County engineer Leslie Duncan Macgeorge in 1882, and was a suspension bridge. At the time, was one of New Zealand's biggest and strongest. It was a much-needed bridge because 4 years earlier the nearest bridge, located at Clyde (upstream), was washed away in a flood. The bridge's roadway was 554 feet from bank to bank. At the time it was built, it was the suspension bridge with the greatest length. The centre arch measured 262 feet 6 inches long. The centre of the bridge stood 40 to 50 feet above the middle of the river. The east side abutment was made of masonry in a solid mass consisting of blocks of stone placed on piles made of totara wood and black pine. It was 83 feet in length and stood 26 feet high.

The deck was a double layer of planks. The west side pier and moorings were situated on rock. The piers reached 90 feet high from the river's bedrock. The structure was supported by 8 cables each three inches in diameter. The Alexandra Pipe Band marched across the bridge as part of the opening celebrations on 1 June 1882, and also to mark the official closing on the same day that the new bridge opened on 5 July 1958.

New Alexandra bridge

The new bridge is situated adjacent and just upstream of the old bridge. It is a steel truss arch bridge and part of New Zealand State Highway 8. It was opened on 5 July 1958 and cost £261,000. The Alexandra Pipe Band marched across the bridge as part of the opening celebrations and then marched across the old bridge to indicate its closing. It was built to replace the old bridge. The old bridge was a single lane, which was insufficient to handle the increasing amount of traffic.

Science & nature

Continue with related local reading