Overview
The Fulham Road Jewish Cemetery (also called Fulham Cemetery and formerly known as the Brompton Jewish Cemetery) It has been described as a "tiny" cemetery that is "totally unexpected in the Fulham Road" and creates an impression "more typical of Prague than London". The cemetery is owned by the Western Charitable Foundation, and is open only by appointment.
History
It was opened in 1815 as the burial ground for the Western Synagogue, now Western Marble Arch Synagogue. The site was purchased in December 1815 for £400. An office building and prayer hall originally stood near the entrance. The cemetery closed in 1885 although burials in reserved plots continued until 1910. It was the first Jewish burial ground west of the City of London. It was restored in 1898 funded by a Mr Ellis Franklin, whose parents were buried here, with the maintenance of the cemetery funded by £20,000 from the estate of Adel Hopkins (née Rootstein). The Edmonton cemetery was subsequently established by the Western Synagogue in 1884.
Notable burials
, 1934 * Herschell Filipowski (1816–1872), Lithuanian-born Hebraist, editor, mathematician, linguist and actuary who was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London * Solomon Hart (1806–1881), artist and professor of painting at the Royal Academy (RA) from 1854 to 1863. Hart was the first Jewish member of the RA * Zadok Jessel (1792–1864), businessman and the father of the Master of the Rolls Sir George Jessel * Joseph Waley (1818–1873), first president of the Anglo-Jewish Association and professor of political economy at London University * Simon Waley (1827–1875), stockbroker, pianist and composer
See also
* Jewish cemeteries in the London area
External links
* * Cemetery Scribes: Brompton (Fulham Rd) Jewish Cemetery * Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Local Studies blog – Hidden in plain sight: Chelsea's Jewish cemetery