Overview
map of lines around the Brighton Main Line in south London, showing surrounding lines, including the Crystal Palace and South London Junction Railway. Lordship Lane was a railway station in East Dulwich, in what was the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell in south London, on the Crystal Palace and South London Junction Railway. It was opened by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) on 1 September 1865 and took its name from Lordship Lane, the thoroughfare on which it stood. In 1925 the line, now part of the Southern Railway, was electrified and the platform extended to allow for the new electric trains. At this time the signal box also closed. It was situated a short distance from a rival London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LBSCR) station named , which survives. The land was owned by the Dulwich Estate. and is near the Horniman Museum.
Photographs from 1954 show the bridge at Cox's Walk visible at the south of the platforms. The locality is the subject of Lordship Lane Station, Dulwich, an 1871 painting by Camille Pissarro, which now hangs at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London.
See also
* List of closed railway stations in London
Further reading
*The Railway through Sydenham Hill Wood, From the Nun's Head to the Screaming Alice by Mathew Frith, The Friends of the Great North Wood and London Wildlife Trust leaflet 1995. *The Crystal Palace (High Level) Branch by W Smith, British Railway Journal 28, 1989.