Overview
St George's Church is an Anglican church in the village of Eastergate in West Sussex, England. It is the ancient parish church of Eastergate, although since 1992 it has been administered as part of a joint ecclesiastical parish with the churches in neighbouring Barnham and Aldingbourne. As part of this group, the building is still in regular use for worship on Sundays and weekdays. Eastergate village school has links with the church, and pupils regularly attend services. There is historic and structural evidence of a Saxon place of worship on the site, and some 11th-century work survives in the chancel, but the present appearance of the church is mostly 13th-century. It was then restored in the Victorian era, and some further rebuilding work was undertaken in the 20th century.
The "long, straggling village" of Eastergate is administratively located in the district of Arun, one of seven local government districts in West Sussex. The church is in a rural situation south of the village street; it is approached through a farmyard next to the manor house, and a "magnificent" Elizabethan granary building that was originally part of the farm has been used by the church for various purposes since the 1970s. English Heritage has listed both buildings for their architectural and historical importance: St George's Church at Grade II*, and the former granary at the lower Grade II.
History
In its earliest form, the parish of Eastergate covered of flat, flood-prone land on the Sussex coastal plain, about northeast of the modern seaside resort of Bognor Regis and a similar distance southwest of the ancient town of Arundel. Romans apparently occupied the area, and may have established a villa near the modern village. brickwork using Roman bricks. The present building was started around the time of the Norman conquest of England. Several church historians have come to different conclusions about its origins: it has been suggested that the chancel is Saxon, that the whole building is the one recorded in the Domesday Book, that it is "possibly pre-Conquest", or that (per Gerard Baldwin Brown) it dates from "within 50 years of the Norman conquest" and lacks any "distinctive Saxon features". Some more herringbone brickwork, now covered up, exists in the south wall of the nave.
Much Roman brickwork has been reused, both in the herringbone work and in the form of a course of long bricks in the south wall of the chancel. was added in the 1920s. The nave in its present form dates from the 13th and 14th centuries: no features remain from the original structure. There is a wide range of medieval windows throughout, ranging from 14th-century openings in the nave and Early English Gothic lancets in the chancel to a 15th-century Perpendicular Gothic east window in the chancel and an arched window of 1534 in the west wall. The church was re-roofed internally in two stages: the nave in the 16th century (it was given a crown post roof), and the chancel in the following century. A structural survey in 1776 indicated that the chancel was deteriorating but the nave was sound.
The first round of Victorian restoration came in 1856, when a gallery was inserted; the chancel was rebuilt and heightened between 1876 and 1877; and in 1883 the nave was altered, a vestry was added, the gallery was taken out and a wooden bell-turret was built at the west end of the building. Nikolaus Pevsner stated that after this work, the church was "too heavily restored to be attractive", and others have noted that the present appearance of the church is derived mostly from its 19th-century modifications. Later work included the replacement of the Victorian vestry with a new equivalent in the 1920s, the replacement of some stained glass and internal fittings around the same time, and the provision of modern facilities including a "welcome area" near the entrance, toilets, kitchen facilities, new heating and better lighting in 2000.
A modern wooden sculpture of Saint George has also been provided, and a late-20th-century tapestry commemorates the history of Eastergate parish and the church. It makes reference to the Domesday Book entry for the village, which uses its original name of Gate.
Architecture
St George's Church has a nave with no aisles, a narrower chancel and a bell-turret at the west end of the roof. There is a vestry on the north side. Most walls are roughcast covering flint rubble; the chancel is mostly of uncovered flint with some herringbone brickwork. The roof is tiled, and the bell-turret is laid with shingles. In 2003, the collapse of a wall monument revealed traces of painting on the exposed plaster beneath. A palimpsest was present with traces of post-Reformation text painting. This has been conserved as a 'window' on the historic plasters and painting layers. granary apparently dating from the 17th century The hipped-roofed building is constructed of red brick with timber framing. It stands on staddle stones—mushroom-shaped supports that lift the structure clear of the ground as a safeguard against damp and vermin. Some restoration has been carried out.
Originally, it was part of the neighbouring Manor Farm—"one of the best farmhouses in this part of Sussex" according to Nikolaus Pevsner—but since the 1970s it has been used for various purposes by St George's Church.
The church today
St George's Church was listed at Grade II* by English Heritage on 5 June 1958. Such buildings are defined as "particularly important and of more than special interest". As of February 2001, it was one of 24 Grade II* listed buildings, and 960 listed buildings of all grades, in the district of Arun. The former granary near the church entrance was listed at Grade II on the same date. Buildings listed at this grade are "nationally important and of special interest". In its assessment of the area, which was designated in June 1992, the district council stated that it "retains its rural character and the essential historic characteristics of a rural agricultural settlement based on the manor house, St George's Church and farm buildings". The ecclesiastical parish includes St Mary the Virgin's Church, Aldingbourne, St Mary the Virgin's Church, Barnham and St George's Church.
It covers the three villages and the surrounding rural area, and hamlets such as Norton, Fontwell, Lidsey and Woodgate. The larger village of Westergate is also part of the parish. St George's is one of 30 Anglican churches in the Rural Deanery of Arundel and Bognor, a division within the Archdeaconry of Chichester and the Diocese of Chichester. Regular services are held in the church, which can accommodate 80 worshippers with ease. On special festivals it often accommodates in excess of 150 worshippers Every Sunday morning, Mattins and Holy Communion are celebrated using the Book of Common Prayer. A family service, usually with Holy Communion, is held at 10.00 am, and at 6.00 pm there is an evening prayer service or Evensong, depending on the Sunday of the month. A Holy Communion service also takes place on Wednesday mornings.
The present rectory was built in the 1920s and given to the Parish by the Davenport family in 1976 on the main road to Barnham, but two earlier buildings were also used for this purpose. The rector was known to live in the village by 1440, and the original rectory was first described in 1473. Vacated by the early 18th century, it became ruinous and was demolished in the 1830s in favour of a Tudor-style flint building on Church Lane. This was used by the rector until the present building was donated.
See also
*List of places of worship in Arun *