← History & culture History & culture · Accessible English

All Saints Church, Chadshunt

Church in Warwickshire, England

2 min
estimated reading
6
complete sections
6.31
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
355
Native text
2641 characters
Dictionary match
78%
Revision
1354894754 · 2026-05-18T20:39:25Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

All Saints Church is a redundant Anglican church in the parish of Chadshunt, Warwickshire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It stands by the side of the road from Kineton to Southam. Its general appearance is "long, low and massive".

History

The earliest fabric in the church is in the eastern part of the nave which dates from the middle of the 12th century. The nave was lengthened towards the west in the 14th century. Early the following century a clerestory was added to the nave, the south wall was refaced, and buttresses were added. In the 17th century the west tower was built and in about 1730 the chancel and north transept were added. The roof was repaired in 1866, and a restoration was carried out in 1906. The church vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 1 May 1988.

Exterior

The church is constructed in ironstone, with tiled roofs. Its plan consists of a three-bay nave with a clerestory, a single-bay chancel, a north transept, and a west tower. The north door has a round-headed arch, but the south door was altered in the 14th century, giving it a pointed arch. To the right of the south doorway is a buttress and a window of paired lancets, and to its left is a 14th-century two-light window. The clerestory has three straight-headed windows on each side; these are also paired lancets. On the east and west sides of the transept is a round-headed window, and in the north wall is a two-light window. In the east wall of the chancel is a Venetian window, and the south wall contains a round-headed window. The tower is in two stages with diagonal buttresses. On the west side of the lower stage is a door, above which is a two-light window.

The upper stage contains a two-light louvred bell opening on each face. At the top of the tower is a moulded cornice and a crenellated parapet.

Interior

The roof of the nave is open. The tie beams are decorated with carvings, as are two of the stone corbels. The roof of the transept has a barrel roof, while the chancel has a coved and plastered ceiling. The chancel is paved with black marble and white stone.

External features

In the churchyard is the base of a churchyard cross, dating from the medieval period. It is constructed in ironstone and consists of an octagonal base and two steps and a square socket stone. It is listed at Grade II. Also in the churchyard are ten tombs, headstones, and groups of headstones, all of which are listed at Grade II.

See also

*List of churches preserved by the Churches Conservation Trust in the English Midlands

History & culture

Continue with related local reading