← Places & the world Places & the world · Advanced English

Fort of São João das Maias

Fort near Lisbon, Portugal

2 min
estimated reading
2
complete sections
12.7
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
357
Native text
2785 characters
Dictionary match
82%
Revision
1264673551 · 2024-12-22T22:55:31Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

The Fort of São João das Maias, also known as the Fort of Oeiras, is located on the right bank of the River Tagus estuary, in the municipality of Oeiras in the Lisbon District of Portugal. It was constructed between 1644 and 1653. Until 2010 it had been allowed to fall into a state of advanced degradation but in that year it was restored.

History

Under the supervision of António Luís de Meneses, 1st Marquis of Marialva, the fort was constructed during the reign of King John IV in a Mannerist style, following an irregular pentagon design. This was done in order to reinforce the defence of the capital in the context of the Restoration War between 1640 and 1668, that culminated in the Treaty of Lisbon (1668) with Spanish recognition of Portuguese sovereignty. It was built to support the Fort of São Julião da Barra to its southwest, crossing fire with the Fort of São Lourenço do Bugio, situated in the middle of the estuary, and the Fort of Santo Amaro do Areeiro, situated between it and São Julião da Barra. It thus formed part of a line of fortifications that stretched from Cabo da Roca on the Atlantic coast to the Belém Tower, close to Lisbon.

Its strategic position dominated the channel through which shipping still passes today to avoid shallow bars close to the banks. In 1644 it was already garrisoned by twenty soldiers, ten gunners and a chief of artillery, with five cannons, but the works were only completed in 1653. In 1735, the fort was reported as being in a good state of repair, but its artillery was reduced to 2 pieces of 24-gauge cannon and another 12 of various calibres that were out of service. Repair works were carried out in the middle of the same century, including the application of tiles in the small chapel. However, soon after work was completed the fort and chapel were severely damaged by the earthquake of November 1, 1755, although many of the tiles have survived. A decade later work was carried out to expand the structure, beginning with the so-called New Battery.

At the time of the Portuguese Civil War (1828–1834), the fort had 14 artillery pieces of various calibres. It was rebuilt in 1853 and further restoration was carried out in 1868 but the fort was never again used and, like other coastal fortifications at the time, it eventually fell into disrepair. In 1940 some of its land was given over for the construction of the new coastal road from Lisbon to Cascais, known as the Marginal. After this it had various uses as holiday camps for military families, including for the Portuguese Legion, a paramilitary organization of the right-wing Estado Novo dictatorship. After the return to democracy with the Carnation Revolution in 1974, the fort was returned to the armed forces, and continued to be used as a holiday camp until 1996.

Places & the world

Continue with related local reading