← Places & the world Places & the world · Accessible English

Henning Church

Church in Trøndelag, Norway

2 min
estimated reading
3
complete sections
4.82
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
275
Native text
1887 characters
Dictionary match
81%
Revision
1354586050 · 2026-05-17T07:30:16Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

Henning Church () is a parish church of the Church of Norway in Steinkjer Municipality in Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located in the village of Henning. It is the church for the Henning parish which is part of the Stiklestad prosti (deanery) in the Diocese of Nidaros. The white, wooden church was built in a long church style in 1872 using plans drawn up by the architect Rasmus M. Overrein. The church seats about 360 people.

History

The earliest existing historical records of the church date back to the year 1533, but the church was not new that year. The first church here was likely a stave church that was built in the 13th century. Historically, the church was known as the , using the old name for the Henning area. The baptismal font for the church is dated to the year 1250-1275, meaning that could be when the church was built. In 1652, the old church was torn down and replaced with a new church on the same site. In 1725, Janus Claudius Gedde purchased the church from the King at the Norwegian church sale when the King sold off many churches to help pay down the debt for the Great Northern War. In 1742, the church was torn down and replaced with a new church on the same site. This was a small long church that had a red painted exterior.

It was also very dark inside with only two small windows on each long wall of the nave and one window on each side of the choir. In 1813, the church was sold to the parish by David Andreas Gram, who owned the church at that time. In 1868, the parish decided to build a new church. In 1870, the church was torn down and replaced with a new church on the same site. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 11 June 1870. The new long church was consecrated and put into use on 5 December 1872. A new floor was laid in 1968, and in 1971 the church was painted inside. The tower was restored in 2008.

See also

*List of churches in Nidaros

Places & the world

Continue with related local reading