← History & culture History & culture · Accessible English

Holy Trinity Church, Walton

Church in Somerset, England

2 min
estimated reading
5
complete sections
5.75
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
404
Native text
2998 characters
Dictionary match
76%
Revision
1311269175 · 2025-09-14T11:41:28Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

Holy Trinity Church is a Church of England church in Walton, Somerset, England. It was rebuilt in 1865–66 to the design of Rev. J. F. Turner and is a Grade II listed building.

History

The earliest reference to a church at Walton dates to 1168, when one was recorded as being in the possession of Glastonbury Abbey. Walton formed a benefice with Street from at least the middle of the 13th century, with Walton being considered an annexed chapelry. The church was dedicated to St. Nicholas in 1546 and later rededicated to Holy Trinity in the early 18th century. In its final form, the church was made up of a nave, chancel, porch and tower with five bells. It is believed to have been of 12th-century origin, with a major rebuild of the 14th century, during which time the north and south porches were added. Construction began in 1865.

Architecture

Holy Trinity is built of Blue Lias stone with dressings of ground Box stone. The Blue Lias stone was sourced from quarries in the parish owned by the Marquess of Bath. The roof of the nave is laid with red Roman tiles. The north aisle roof was most recently laid with Welsh slate in the 20th century. The church is made up of a three-bay nave, north aisle, chancel, north vestry, south porch and three-stage tower. The interior of the walls are of Bath stone with courses of red brick, and the pillars of the north aisle are also of Bath stone. The corbels were carved by Mr. John Seymour of Taunton and Mr. Albert Merrick of Glastonbury. The roof of the nave is made of red deal shingle, with varnished cross ties. The chancel has a similar roof, but with curved ribs in lieu of cross ties. The church's pews and the altar are of oak, the pulpit of Bath stone and the lectern of iron and brass.

The font, gifted by Lord John Thynne, is largely made of Caen stone, with four pillars of polished Devonshire marble. Three memorial tablets were retained from the old church, as was the top of a tomb of 14th-century origin, which was fixed in the north-west corner of the church. The south side of the chancel has a stained glass window in memory of the incumbent's first wife, Sophia Mary Hickley, who died in 1857. The stained glass window near the south porch was erected by Rev. Hickley in memory of his mother, Elizabeth Ann Hickley, who died in 1863. The stained glass window at the west end of the north aisle was gifted by Mr. Horner of Mells. All of the glazing was done by Messrs. Munden of Glastonbury. The church received choir stalls in 1933 and a new lectern in c. 1951.

The church's tower contains five bells, including one by Richard Austen, dated 1637, one by Thomas Purdue, dated 1687, and another by William Purdue, undated. One bell was cast by William Cockey in 1730 and another recast by Thomas Mears in 1814. All bells underwent repair in 1840 and were recast in 1935.

Notable incumbents

* William Pennefather became the perpetual curate assisted by his wife Catherine in 1848. They moved on to Barnet in 1852.

External links

* * The Benefice of Street, Walton and Compton Dundon website

History & culture

Continue with related local reading