← History & culture History & culture · Developing English

St Oswald's Church, Warton

Church in Lancashire, England

2 min
estimated reading
6
complete sections
8.09
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
342
Native text
2571 characters
Dictionary match
74%
Revision
1354896432 · 2026-05-18T20:49:50Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

St Oswald's Church is in the village of Warton, Lancashire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Tunstall, the archdeaconry of Lancaster, and the diocese of Blackburn. Its benefice is united with those of St Mary, Borwick and St John the Evangelist, Yealand Conyers. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. The ruined remains of the medieval rectory survive next to the present vicarage to the west of the church.

History

The present church is probably built on the site of a church in existence prior to the 12th century. It was largely rebuilt in the 15th century, retaining part of the wall of the south aisle. The north aisle was either added or rebuilt in the 16th century. In 1848–49 renovation work was carried out on the south arcade by the Lancaster architects Sharpe and Paley. More extensive restoration work was carried out in 1892 by Paley, Austin and Paley, successors to Sharpe and Paley. Since 1977, a Flag of Washington, D.C. has been in the church; it was given by American soldiers and normally hangs in the church, except on the Fourth of July, when it is flown from a flagpole outside.

Exterior

The church is pebbledashed with sandstone dressings, and has a slate roof. Its plan consists of a west tower, a nave with north and south aisles and a clerestory, and a chancel. The tower has angle buttresses, three-light bell openings, and a battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. The former west door has been partly blocked, making it into a window, and over this is a small niche. The tower is high.

Interior

The tower once bore the arms of the Washington family, but these have been moved and are now re-set inside it. In the southeast chapel is a sedilia that is considered to date from the late 13th or early 14th century. The font is cylindrical and lead-lined, and carries the date 1661. Incorporated into the 19th-century pews are coats of arms, one of these being of the Washington family that is dated 1614. In the southwest aisle are the arms of Queen Victoria. In the church is stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt, Ward and Hughes, and F. Burrow, and memorial wall tablets by George Webster. There is more stained glass in the vestry by Shrigley and Hunt; this depicts Saints Oswald, Patrick and Aidan.

External features

The churchyard contains the war graves of eight service personnel of World War I, and a Royal Artillery soldier of World War II.

See also

*Listed buildings in Warton, Lancaster *List of works by Sharpe and Paley *List of works by Paley, Austin and Paley

History & culture

Continue with related local reading