← Places & the world Places & the world · Accessible English

Haig Point Range Lights

Lighthouses in South Carolina, US

2 min
estimated reading
4
complete sections
6.04
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
285
Native text
2075 characters
Dictionary match
82%
Revision
1360411585 · 2026-06-21T09:42:54Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

The Haig Point Range Lights were range lights on Calibogue Sound at the northeastern end of Daufuskie Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina. The Haig Point Range Lights were built in 1873 and were maintained as an official aid to navigation until about 1924. The Rear Range Light house has been restored. It is a guest house for the Haig Point Club and serves as a private aid to navigation. Calibogue Sound is between Daufuskie and Hilton Head Islands. It connects the Intracoastal Waterway and the Harbour Town Marina with the Atlantic Ocean. In 1871, the U.S. Congress authorized two sets of range lights on Daufuskie Island. The other range lights were the Bloody Point Range Lights on the south end of the island. Land was procured in 1872 at Haig's Point for the first set. The Haig Point range lights were lit in 1873.

Although most sources indicate that the range lights were deactivated in 1924, others indicate that it was as early as 1922, to as late as 1934 or 1938.

Rear Range Light

The Rear Range light, built by James H. Reed, had a square tower on top of the light keeper's wooden, two-story Victorian house. The foundation for the house rests on the Tabby cement foundation of an old plantation house. The house and tower are painted white. The lantern has a red roof. The light was a 5th order Fresnel lens with a kerosene lamp. Later, an electric light was installed. In addition to the house, an oil house, and a 6,000 US gallon (22,700 L) cistern were built. This light was staffed until about 1924. In addition, the Beaufort County Historical Surveys for both the lighthouse and the oil house are available. These have recent photographs.

Front Range Light

The front range light was a wooden structure with a lantern; the lighting apparatus was a steamer lens. The tower was located about south of the rear range light. This structure was movable to adjust to shifts in the channel. The fate of the front light after the station was closed is unknown,

External links

* https://web.archive.org/web/20080708093130/http://www.haigpoint.com/index.html * https://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=653 *

Places & the world

Continue with related local reading