← Places & the world Places & the world · Accessible English

St Garmon's Church, Llanarmon-yn-Iâl

Church in Denbighshire, Wales

2 min
estimated reading
6
complete sections
6.09
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
283
Native text
2118 characters
Dictionary match
78%
Revision
1354511518 · 2026-05-16T22:04:04Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

St Garmon's Church is in the centre of the village of Llanarmon-yn-Iâl, Denbighshire, Wales. It is an active Anglican church in the diocese of St Asaph, the archdeaconry of St Asaph and the deanery of Dyffryn Clwyd. It is designated by Cadw as a Grade I listed building.

History

The church dates from 1282; a second nave was added about 1450. Much of the church was rebuilt in 1736. Around that time, Edward Whetnall, a carpenter from Wrexham, replaced the stone arcade between the two naves with an arcade in timber. In 1759 a gallery was built at the west end of the south nave, and it was extended in 1781. It is likely that the porch was enlarged in 1774. In 1870 the church was restored by John Douglas, adding some Gothic-style windows and bracing to the colonnade. The box pews were also removed, and it is likely that the gallery was removed at this time. There were further restorations in 1906, in the late 1920s, and in the 1970s.

Exterior

The church is built in stone, mainly limestone with some sandstone. The roof is of slates with grey ridge tiles. Its plan consists of a double nave. The north nave is wider than the south and at its east end is the chancel. The south nave acts as an aisle, with its east end partitioned to act as a vestry. There is a south porch and a bellcote at the west end over the north nave. The porch has a ball finial and sandstone ridge tiles. The bellcote has apertures for two bells. The division between the north nave and the chancel is marked by a buttress.

Interior

Inside the church is a baluster font dated 1734 and a pulpit which has been attributed to Douglas. The brass chandelier dates from the 15th or early 16th century, and contains a figure of the Virgin Mary in a canopy. Two of the monuments date from the early 14th century and another is dated 1639. The Royal Arms date from 1740.

External features

The church is in the middle of a churchyard which is almost square with rounded corners, overlooking the River Alyn. In the churchyard is the shaft of a churchyard cross which was converted into a sundial in 1774.

See also

*List of church restorations, amendments and furniture by John Douglas

Places & the world

Continue with related local reading