← History & culture History & culture · Developing English

St Laurence's Church, Chorley

Church in Lancashire, England

2 min
estimated reading
6
complete sections
6.97
algorithmic grade estimate

Before you read

Use the article and the local dictionary together

The complexity label is calculated from sentence length and syllable estimates; it is guidance, not an assessment of you. Open any highlighted word below for its full local dictionary page.

Words
325
Native text
2515 characters
Dictionary match
79%
Revision
1354514003 · 2026-05-16T22:21:26Z
Key vocabulary

Words to check before reading

Overview

St Laurence's Church is in Union Street, Chorley, Lancashire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Chorley, the archdeaconry of Blackburn, and the diocese of Blackburn. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.

History

A church was almost certainly present on the site in the Anglo-Saxon era as the daughter church of Croston. The first documentary record is dated 1362 and refers to a priest for the church. A letter dated 1442 refers to a reliquary owned by the church which is said to contain bones of Saint Laurence. The tower in the present church dates from the 15th century. St Laurence's became a parish church in its own right in 1793, and subsequently the mother church of the other churches in the town. A major rebuilding of the church took place in 1859–61, when among other changes, the galleries were removed, and aisles were added. Further alterations took place in 1913–14. The interior of the church was reordered towards the end of the 20th century.

Exterior

The church is constructed in stone with slate roofs. The architectural style of the body of the church is Perpendicular. The plan of the church consists of a four-bay nave with a south porch, north and south aisles under separate roofs, a chancel with a south transept and a separate south chapel, and a west tower. The tower is in three stages, with diagonal buttresses, and a battlemented parapet with gargoyles. Each of the buttresses contains a carving of a shield with three boars' heads in the lower stage, and a niche in the upper stage. Between the buttresses is a dripmould with carved bosses. On the west side of the tower is a doorway, with a four-light window above it. The top stage contains a louvred two-light bell opening on each side. On the south side of the tower is a stair turret. At the east end of the nave is a Sanctus bellcote.

Both aisles are buttressed with gargoyles and battlemented parapets. The north aisle has a five-light window, a doorway, and one canted bay. The south aisle has a four-light west window and a porch. Above the porch is a large round sundial.

Interior

Inside the church the arcades are carried on octagonal piers. There is a ring of eight bells cast by John Taylor Bellfounders in 1996.

See also

*Grade II* listed buildings in Lancashire *Listed buildings in Chorley *List of ecclesiastical works by E. G. Paley *List of works by Charles Reed

Notes

The carvings are possibly the arms of William Booth, Bishop of Lichfield.

History & culture

Continue with related local reading